Feeding cost takes a high percentage of total cost in the meat operations industry. Reducing the cost means the profitability can increase. By using the Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) as the source of insect protection, the stockfeed cost can reduce substantially because BSFL can be reared through organic waste or livestock manure.
Black soldier fly life cycle
If you haven’t reared the BSF before, it is essential to understand the whole life cycle of this beautiful species as well as their ideal environment for rearing. There are 5 stages in the BSF life cycle: Egg > Larvae > Pre-pupa > Pupa > Adult.
- Eggs – The incubation takes around 3 days with the temperature 27 to 30 Celsius.
- Larvae – the duration for this stage can last from 4 weeks to 5 months. The environment is the key factor affecting larvae life such as temperature, the source of food. The optimal temperature is in the range of 25 – 30 celsius.
- Pre-pupa – This happens at the late stage of larvae, the only way to differentiate is the colour change to the dark brown and the larvae start migrating to the dry – darken site for the pupa stage.
- Pupa – At this stage, the larvae completely turn to the black colour, all the activity will be stopped and they completely stop moving. The pupa stage will last for about one to two weeks.
- Adult – After emergence from the pupa stage, it takes a bit of time for BSF to unfold the wing. Mating takes about 2 days after and another 2 days before egg laying.
If you’d like to look deeper into the effect of the temperature on the BSF life cycle, you can read our post Black Soldier Fly breeding temperatures and thermal requirements.
Black Soldier Fly eggs production preparation
Firstly, we will assume that you are not able to catch
- Small Net Cage – you can buy a mosquito net for the quick easy setup.
- Cardboard or Non-processed wood plate – The chemical in the wood can be harmful to the BLS. However, we highly recommend the wood material for better efficiency in mass-collecting.
- Get some BSFLs or BSF eggs from local – if you couldn’t find any luck in your local area, we recommend to get the Pupa larvae (black larvae) because they have the highest chance to survive during the long shipment distance, if you would get the eggs or larvae from the local, it would be great.
- A small amount of fruit waste for higher efficient attraction
- Natural sunlight from a window or skylight with the humidity range from 30 to 90%.
In nature, the adult female BSF lays their eggs near a potential food source. Unlike other species of flies, the female BSF doesn’t lay their egg directly on the source of food.
If you got some BSF pupas – black larvae, leave them in the dark area for the
The photos can be worth thousands of words, you can have a look at our set up:
Black Soldier Fly Farm Australia
You can know more what we do at BSF Farm in the Our Mission page.
BSF farm locates in Darwin, Northern Territory Mr Vincent 0478 932 723. We supply Black Soldier Fly Larvae – organic high protein foods to pet lover, pet retailer, poultry farm. Great foods to feed the chicken, fish, quail, pet in Australia. You can also send us the message at the Contact page